Doing it Right
Posted on February 6, 2012 by Gary Bradt
John Deere is celebrating their 175th birthday this year. Not many companies make it that far. So how have they done it, and what can you learn and apply to your business now?
Two primary ingredients comprise their success. First, the company was established on a set of unwavering values. John Deere products and people have shifted over time. Their values have not. And those values continue to inform executives’ long-term vision and everyday behavior.
Second, the organization does not rest. John Deere constantly seeks to innovate and improve their products and services. They recognize that success can breed complacency, and they refuse to let that happen.
How do you and your organization compare? Do you have a set of company values? Are they real- that is, do they guide behavior and inform decisions- or are they just meaningless platitudes hanging on the wall?
Are you continuing to adapt, learn and grow, both yourself and your business? You can’t do one without the other.
Learn to ‘run like a Deere.’ They are doing it right.
Leave a Reply
Change always creates hidden opportunities. The challenge is to unearth them. In his book, The Ring in the Rubble, Dr. Gary Bradt reveals the secrets to moving beyond the rubble of disruption, fear and uncertainty that change creates and finding the golden ring of opportunity the lies beneath – in short, to adapt and ignite. Read more »
- It's Never Easy to Follow a Legendary Leader
- The Problem of Being Nice
- Another nice piece on Deere getting it done
- Money, Power and Leadership
- Hey, business athlete, want to win consistently? Get comfortable with being uncomfortable.
- What can we learn about change from Crocs, the ugly shoe with a beautiful story?
- JC Penny- Who Knew?
- Doing it Right
- Career and Life Transitions: A Powerful Tip to Help you adapt, ignite and win!